November 20, 2011

I Guess It's Tradition...

In church my Young Women class talked about family heritage, background and traditions.
At first I couldn't think of anything, but then, as I listened to my friends talk about their families, I realized I had a whole lot. When it came to be my turn, I started with the most simple, most boring, most regular thing I could think of that my family does every year at birthdays. We each take turns to lift our present over the birthday girl/boy and say:

"Heavy, heavy hang over thy poooor head, what would you wish with a bonk on your head?"

And then we bonk their head with the present.
And the birthday girl/boy has to wish something marvelous for the gift-and-bop-on-your-head-giver before s/he can open their present.
Normal, right?
I was darn surprised when the whole class cracked up.
So then I told them about my tenth birthday when both my parents picked me up, hung me upside down, (my present was around 30 pounds or more with all it's pieces, so they weren't going to pick that up and hang that over my poor head,)

"Heavy, heavy hangover thy poor head, what would you wish with a bonk---"  Crack.
Well, luckily it wasn't my head that broke, it was my present. :(
It was a fish tank, one I'd wanted for a long time, so now, I just use it as a worm farm to breed my fishing bait. Oh well.
So my Young Women's class cracked up over that too. I guess then, that it is a family tradition after all. They had never heard of such a thing. And I thought it was normal. Well, I hope we didn't look too weird at our friend's parties when we bonked their heads.

;D

2 comments: