October 6, 2009

Autumn deer season



A friend of ours knows a deer hunter who gives shot deer away so that he can keep shooting. The Friend told us about him, so my dad wrote down his phone number, and ever since, we've got deer from that guy at least once a year. Venison is very good, and tastes like beef, but some deer taste better than others, these last two year's deer were excellent. I guess it depends on what they ate. So far I've skinned two deer---well, okay, one of them got ruined, but the other was a total success. It lasted for two and a half years, till recently a stray Boston terrier tore it down and took it out on the grass, chewed on it, and left it on the dew covered grass . I found it when I came back from seminary; wet and moldy. The dog hasn't come back since. It ate two of our expensive muscovey ducks, and might be responsible for a chicken murder. Dad skinned this deer with it's tail still attached. That's special so I'd better get it out of the freezer.



This is dad cutting up last week's deer. I usually help dad, but this time Mom said Jo had to learn some life skills. He's ok with picking dead chickens up, but when it comes to cutting up stuff, well, he's a little squeamish.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't eaten deer since I was Jo's age, but it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete